Sunday, April 11, 2010

Easter and A Visit with Auntie Heather

This Easter was not only Grayson's first Easter, but it was also the first time that we went to the National Cathedral for Easter Services.  Heather and her family were visiting as were my parents, so it made for a fun, yet busy weekend/week. 

We spent Saturday at Arlington Cemetery to do some sightseeing with the whole gang.  Making a trip to DC is always an adventure, but especially when you have 11 people involved in the trip (and it's about half adults and half kids). I won't go into all of the details of the trip, let's just say...when you have an infant and require bottles and diapers, etc...don't waste your time trying to take the Tourmobile around Arlington because while they tell you that they permit strollers...they don't.

Because of trying to get Tourmobile tickets for my dad, who couldn't have walked Arlington, sending Heather and her family on to walk around Arlington and then having to walk myself because they wouldn't let Gray's stroller on the Tourmobile (and wasting the money for the ticket because of that), Gray and I didn't get to see as much as everyone else.

And at one point, when Gray seemed to have had enough, I sent my parents on to enjoy the ridig tour and Gray and I went to find the grave of the father-in-law of a good friend of our's. He passed away the week before Gray was born and was buried at Arlington February 1st.  Unfortunately, we weren't able to make it to the funeral because Gray was sick, so it was important to me that we were able to pay our respects.

After walking around Arlington and all of the chaos with the Tourmobile...and because of the NCAA playoffs, we decided to head back to the house and get some treats made so that the boys could watch the game and we could relax since we were heading back to the city on Sunday for Easter Service at National Cathedral.  Butler won the game...so everyone was happy!


On Sunday we got dressed in our best and headed to the National Cathedral for the 11am service.  It was a beautiful service, but very crowded and the seats weren't the most comfortable, but that's ok.  Gray slept through the entire service, but I'm sure he was taking it all in and listening intently in his sleep. 

After the service we decided to head back towards the house and grab lunch somewhere. We ended up making the guys happy and having Easter lunch at Dave's BBQ.  Not your typical Easter lunch location, but it was still yummy.

Aaron, Lorna, and Toby relaxing at Dave's BBQ
Aaron enjoying some Dave's BBQ
The next day was my first day back at work. I'm not sure I was really ready for going back, but fortunately it was a very quiet week.  My parents watched Gray, so he didn't have to start daycare until my second week of work. Gray really enjoyed his time with Grandma and Grandpa, despite Grandpa jokingly threatening to throw him on the floor for grabbing his glasses...apparently, Gray didn't think it was a joke and gave Grandpa the pouty lip and started to cry.  Needless to say, Grandpa felt really bad about his joke and he became known as the mean Grandpa after that.

Letting Grandma know who's really in charge!
Still not sure whether to trust Grandpa after his threats...
We didn't see Heather and her family again until Wednesday of that week when they came over for a cookout.  Unfortunately, the week was just exhausting for me and the transition of leaving Gray was harder than I expected, so I wasn't in a very hospitable mood that evening.  But it was great to see them and hear how they're week had been going and all that they had done.

It was great to have everyone here to spend the week with us as I transitioned to work and I'm thankful that they were so understanding about what a difficult week it was for me.

No comments: