Friday, April 23, 2010

Dress Codes

Ok, I don't often write about work. I usually focus the posts on family adventures, but my return to work has resulted in a number of events/issues worthy of complaint...or I mean blogging about.

I will admit that I, and my coworkers, have been very fortunate to have the quality of life benefits that we have at our Command.  We have flex time which means, I'm never late for work...if I put in 8 hours...it doesn't really matter if I show up at 730am or 930am.  And If I work more than 8 hours, I earn something called credit time...most people can relate to comp time...in essence, that's what it is...it's comp time, but limited to having a max of 24 hours at any given time...and it doesn't expire like comp time...but it's great way to take a long weekend, support vacation time without using as much leave, etc...so it's really a great benefit.  We're allowed 3 hours on-the-clock per week to workout.  That can be, going to the gym, playing intramural sports, going for a walk, a run, a bike ride, a swim...whatever. 

Another great benefit is that we have a casual work environment.  We can wear jeans any day of the week unless we're having visitors.  Well, at least we could. We just received notice this week that JFCOM (our parent Command) has decided to institute a dress code...mind you, a dress code that I believe they pulled off the shelf was from perhaps the 1980s.  I say this because of the wording.  Appropriate attire for women includes "dress shoes and nylons". Who says "nylons" anymore? And for men..."hush puppies" are pemitted for shoes on the one day of the week that is concidered casual business dress (fridays).  "Hush Puppies"? Really? I've eaten hush puppies when I've gone out for crabs, but who really refers to men's shoes as Hush Puppies? In the last 30 years?

I will grant you that with all of the wonderful benefits we have, it's probably pretty silly to get so frustrated about a dress code. But let's really think about this...this "idea" for improving the Commands has really just caused a decline in productivity...initially because everyone has spent the past 3 days since notification trying to figure out loopholes and coming up with "creative" ideas as to how to adhere to the dress code instead of focusing on work.  And when you have a bunch of engineers, scientists, and analysts who spend the majority of their time working at their desks, isn't it better for productivity to ensure that they are comfortable, rather than ensure that they are dressed in suits and ties?

But alas, what will be will be and we'll all adhere to the letter of the policy...and take advantage of any loopholes we can find.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We have an official dress code--there's even a cheesy video about it--but it's pretty reasonable (nothing about nylons). This one sounds absurd. I'm almost curious, however, about how most of the Command is going to deal with it.