Thinking that Wil had programmed in the wrong coordinates in the GPS, we stopped at this little Inn to ask directions (or so I thought) and allow me to go to the bathroom. Oh...I was wrong...he fooled me all the way...he had to actually tell me what was going on. Instead of a little day trip...he had arranged for our friend, Penelope, to come and watch Indiana and we were spending the weekend at this romantic little bed and breakfast just outside of Charlottesville, Virginia.
Our cottage, the "Overseers Cottage"
Trying to see who had the bigger bump...me or the tree...
We also had dinner reservations at the B&B for what turned out to be a wine reception (unfortunately, I couldn't participate in that) and a gourmet 5 course dinner. It was lovely!
We spent the day on Saturday walking around Charlottesville and having lunch downtown in the historic district. We drove around the area (which if you haven't been...has to be one the most beautiful areas...very near the Shenandoah Mountains with lots of horse ranches and beautiful landscape) and then went back to our cottage to take a nap before dinner. At dinner we found out that 2 of the other couples there had also lived significant portions of their lives in Indiana (Wil felt surrounded).
After dinner, Wil built a fire in our wood-burning fireplace (quite an accomplishment since our fireplace at home is gas...I wasn't sure Wil knew what he was doing, but he was a pro) and we turned in for the night.
We spent the day on Saturday walking around Charlottesville and having lunch downtown in the historic district. We drove around the area (which if you haven't been...has to be one the most beautiful areas...very near the Shenandoah Mountains with lots of horse ranches and beautiful landscape) and then went back to our cottage to take a nap before dinner. At dinner we found out that 2 of the other couples there had also lived significant portions of their lives in Indiana (Wil felt surrounded).
After dinner, Wil built a fire in our wood-burning fireplace (quite an accomplishment since our fireplace at home is gas...I wasn't sure Wil knew what he was doing, but he was a pro) and we turned in for the night.
On a side note, the bed at this B&B may have been the most comfortable bed I have EVER slept in...it was wonderful!!! Wil wanted to steal the mattress, but I thought we should just lift up the sheet and find out the brand and buy one for ourselves...fortunately, logic won out and we don't have to worry about the state police showing up to arrest Wil for grand theft mattress.

This morning we arose to wonderful breakfast and then headed to Monticello for the day. It's been about 8 or 9 years since I've been to Monticello and while TJ's (otherwise known as Thomas Jefferson) home hasn't changed too much...they have really made great progress in their restoration and in building their visitor center. There's much to do and see. It's a beautiful home and I love hearing the stories about TJ...what an amazing person!!!
.JPG)
.JPG)
.JPG)
.JPG)
After Monticello, we drove to Mitchie Tavern (an historic tavern/inn that has served as a social center in the area since the late 1700s) and walked around. After that we headed back to Fredericksburg and had lunch/dinner at the Japanese Steakhouse.
All in all, I have to say that this may have been one of the best birthday surprises and birthday weekends I've ever had!! Of course, I told Wil that this could be a problem for him because now my expectations for next year will be so very high...poor guy! :)
This morning we arose to wonderful breakfast and then headed to Monticello for the day. It's been about 8 or 9 years since I've been to Monticello and while TJ's (otherwise known as Thomas Jefferson) home hasn't changed too much...they have really made great progress in their restoration and in building their visitor center. There's much to do and see. It's a beautiful home and I love hearing the stories about TJ...what an amazing person!!!
After Monticello, we drove to Mitchie Tavern (an historic tavern/inn that has served as a social center in the area since the late 1700s) and walked around. After that we headed back to Fredericksburg and had lunch/dinner at the Japanese Steakhouse.
All in all, I have to say that this may have been one of the best birthday surprises and birthday weekends I've ever had!! Of course, I told Wil that this could be a problem for him because now my expectations for next year will be so very high...poor guy! :)
1 comment:
What a fantastic birthday!! Happy Belated. Hope you are doing really well!
Post a Comment